The Franciscan Sisters’ first foundation in Ireland was in Falcarragh, Co. Donegal, in 1947. A second foundation was made in one of the poorest areas in the north side of Dublin in 1983. The original reason for coming to Ireland was for Vocations Promotion. The sisters were, however, soon drawn to other ministries including pastoral education, health care and working with travelling and homeless groups.
Through its Mission Development Office (MDO) in Dublin and its development projects, the Sisters support some of the poorest and most powerless people in the developing world, by sourcing grants to increase funding levels for sustainable mission.
As the Congregation continues to increase in numbers in the global south, it has become clear that there is a need to strengthen the sisters’ capacity and capabilities in project and financial management. The MDO provides a range of support services to strengthen the ability of its members to achieve and sustain its mission through provision of oversight of all requests made by sisters for external funding, whether national or international, as well as oversight of the management of funds designated for mission development. The office also supports the enhancement of members’ capacities and capabilities to deliver significant results through improving local leadership and management capacities, building financial sustainability, and enhancing communication and collaboration.
Through the works undertaken by the MDO, in collaboration with our members and partners, the Congregation has made a significant and sustainable difference to the lives of some of the poorest people we serve.